So..it's Monday morning after a holiday weekend. You haven't written a new blog post since last Wednesday. Don't say the word.. please don't say it.. okay…we'll whisper it..shhhh.. “writers block”.
What to do when this lil' word creeps into your head and your keyboard? Get em'! Smack em' with inspiration, passion and content that tweets and retweets!
Here are a few (okay more than a few) ideas to break through writers block plateaus:
Find an Analogy!
1. Go back to childhood.
2. Get emotional. Think of something that makes you laugh, cry or get frustrated. Emotion is good. Don't be afraid if you tick someone off. Ticking someone off is good in social media as it means someone is reading your blog, you are sparking emotions, dialogue and engagement.
3. Browse thru a photostock website for ideas. Type in key words that interest you and you just might find a picture that may spark 10 ideas!
Get Connected with your Customers!
4. What a concept…write something that your customers care about! Funny how many people forget this simple yet important point.
5. What drives your customers emotionally or fiscally?
6. Where are they hangin' out? At networking events, go to one? On Facebook.. join the same pages. On Twitter… tweet with them. Find them, get to know them and connect with them.
7. Research what it is your customers or customer prospects are asking about on social media sites. What information do they need and want? Find out and be the first to provide it to them or be the 2nd but be the best!
8. Ask your customers! Another amazing concept. Talk to your customers! If you find yourself struggling from month to month with content, then ask your customers for input. Ask them what they would like to hear about. Ask them via enewsletter, via Twitter, Facebook, Poll, Survey or face to face. If you aren't communicating with your customers in a way you can ask them… get out there and find them, ask them and connect with them.
9. Check out your competitors. What are they doing? They might lead you to customers you didn't know about.
Reinvigorate your passions!
10. Get creative here. Get your morning drink of choice, comfy cozy spot and start making a list.
11. Why did you first start your business or career?
12. WHAT is it that drove you to do such? What is the passion, the spark inside of you that gave you the guts to be an entrepreneur, take on a new career etc.
13. Now that you have your list… when is the last time you wrote something about these passions? Now make a list of topics you can write about that correlate to these passions. I find this the easiest way to write when I am just “not feelin' it”. I have lots of passions though so makes it easier ;)
What are the passions of your customers?
14. Similar to what you did for your own passions… do the same for your customers and partners.
15. What is it that makes them smile, happy, do the happy dance?
16. Why do they do what they do?
17. What is success to them?
18. How do they measure success?
19. Who do they depend on for success? If you aren't one of those people or businesses shouldn't you be?
20. Inspire them, connect with them and help them achive their passions, desires & business goals!
21. Is there a holiday or season you can write about? Is the upcoming season going to bring change in weather that can affect your customers business? If yes, provide them tips to “weather the storm”. Point them to useful resources.
22. Similar to an analogy, relate to a holiday. Holidays are great ways to connect with your audiences emotionally.
23. Relate the season to the analogy of change. Your content can focus on winds of change, spring cleaning, fresh starts etc.
Move it up a few levels:
24. Take a few steps up to your industry or your markets.
25. What is something funny in your industry or market? What is a pain point? How does your biz solve an industry problem?
26. What is a big gap in your industry?
27. What is an accomplishment your industry has made?
28. Are there any industry standards that have changed that you could update your audience about? Policies, laws, guidelines, best practices? Anything that is content that others might not know or have time to research?
29. Follow a leader in your industry. Check out their blog posts, twitter tweets. See if there is something you can reference, something that inspires you?
30. Still stuck? Change your scenery!
31. Go for a run or hit the gym.
31. Have a picnic. Take a comfy blanket and a note pad.
32. Go sit at the city park or town square. People watch and you're sure to see something funny or inspiring!
Still stuck??? Take a day off… life will go on if you just can't get to a blog post today. Life is too short to sweat about the small stuff. Go spend some time with your customers, family and friends for a few hours. All your Twitter tweeps, facebook friends and Google buzzards will be there when you return.
Share your tips too!
Leave A Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.